Windowfarming – doing it ourselves

Inspired by all the awesome videos about windowfarming, we decided to try to build one ourselves. This post will show exactly how we build our windowfarm and what we used to build it. We spend a couple of days researching how to build it, and day shopping and constructing it. Pictured below are all the things we used, a shopping list and a walk-through of our process.All the parts needed to build a windowfarmShopping list:

  • Leca nuts (Clay pellets) from Silvan – 37 kr
  • 2l water bottles from Føtex – 50 kr
  • Nylon string – 40 kr
  • Plumbers tape (Teflon tape) from Silvan – 30 kr
  • Extension cord/outlet from silvan – 29 kr
  • Timer from Silvan – 100 kr
  • Air pump Sera Precision air 275 R plus, including a t-valve and two one-way valves from the local petstore – 249 kr
  • Air tubes 7 meters from the lokal petsore – 56 kr
  • 4 test plants from the local super market – 60 kr
  • Soil for planting seedlings – 15 kr
  • seeds – 180 kr

Other supplies

  • Hooks (bought for another project)
  • Black spray paint (from an earlier project)
  • Scissors
  • A sharpie
  • Knife
  • A tiny greenhouse for growing seedlings, bought earlier

All in all the costs run up to about 850 kr / 140 $

Process

We decided to build a cross between Windowfarm version 1. and Windowfarm version 3. Using an aquarium air pump and a t-valve to raise the water up to the top of the system. Holding the structure up with hooks in the ceiling and the bottles suspended below in nylon string.

  1. We emptied (drank) the contents of the water bottles and cut out holes for the plant and for putting the bottles together. 
  2. We removed the test plants from their pots and tested the pots fit into our water bottle containers
  3. The fitting was a succes, and we then turned the pots into net-cups using scissors, to make sure the water would flow easily around in the system 
  4. We painted the bottles below the hole for the plant on what used to be the top part of the bottle outside on the balcony. The point of painting the bottom part of the bottle, is to ensure that the roots of the plant wont be exposed to sunlight, making them grow leaves and become branches instead of roots.
  5. After the paint job was done, we let the bottle dry thoroughly outside, to minimize the fumes. The bottle on the left is going to be the water reservoir. It is painted all over, except for a line that reveals the water level, in order to minimize algae growth
  6. Then we cut holes in all the bottle caps and inserted small pieces of tube, to lead the water from bottle to the next without making a splashy mess.
  7. Using string and the hooks in the ceiling, we used the bottom bottle, the water reservoir as leverage. The four other bottles would use this as their base.
  8. We cut four holes in the side of the other bottles and wowed the string in and out between the bottles, in order to keep them in place – bottle centipiede!
  9. Then we attached air pump via tubes, the two one-way valves and the t-valve. Ensuring that air could not get into the reservoir and that water could not reach the pump.
  10. Before adding the plants, we rinsed the soil from the roots and washed the leca nuts, so the dirt and soil wouldn’t clog up the system 
  11. And then there was a windowfarm!!
About these ads
This entry was posted in Craft and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s